Friday 23 September 2011

Homework 3: Response to Understanding Comics - Dispence

This reading was extremely engaging and interesting, and at times really entertaining. Everything he said made sense except the part where he put the eye on the closed curves. I thought of an amoeba like monsters rather than an eye and then in the panel to the left of the realistic eye, I thought that it looked like a target sign rather than an eye.
Regardless this comics made me re-evaluate perception in life in general, the importance of comics, and the expression of my art preference in regards to reality, the picture plane, and language. I found out that I prefer to draw in between reality and language which means that I am attracted to the beauty of nature and ideas. Which means I'm screwed when it comes to Futurism which seems to be primarily about the beauty of art and a little of ideas.
I think that comics or cartoons are underestimated by many conservative older people. I agree with the author that comics can be possibly be just as emotionally and physically complex as any other literary works, in story also.

No comments:

Post a Comment